Re: 215 buick in a '77 mgb

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: Re: 215 buick in a '77 mgb
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:22:31 +0100
I think the overdrive was standard, it was the override switch on the
gearbox that was altered, allowing o/d on 4th only on all except the very
earliest cars.  The gearbox had a modified casing, ratios and I think input
shaft but I don't think it was any stronger than the MGB, hence the problems
if power is used to the full.

The V8 had the same axle ratio as the non o/d MGC, and also the same
prop-shaft with the larger U/Js.

PaulH.

> The overdrive was modified and the gearbox gears were stronger than
> stock.  Even so gearbox problems were a common complaint.  The stock 4
> cylinder gearbox can be used, but it will always be a weak link.
Conversion
> adapters to use the box are available from the UK.
>
> Another thing to look at is the driveshaft.  The stock MGB
> driveshaft uses small flanges and u joints.  This is another weak spot.
The
> MGC used larger flanges and U joints to handle the increased torque of the
6
> cylinder.  The smaller u joints will hold up for a while, but again they
are
> going to be a weak spot.
>
> Kelvin.

OD,