Re: Landrover Sale (reminiscences)

To: <Transmancat@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Landrover Sale (reminiscences)
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:41:23 +0100
Hi John, Listers,

I got to drive the first 1.8Ti SS1 at the SMMT bash at Donington in (I
think) about '85. It was great-stuck on like a leech, went quick and sounded
right. I later got an '86 1600 SS1 in Scimitar Red-and the paint stayed on.
I Improved it with AVO front dampers and an aircraft filler to stop it
regurgitating fuel. But...the CVH engine always felt rough and noisy, even
though I put in a higher ratio diff. So, I sold it.

My GTEs all had cooling and front suspension problems. The first one fell
off the jack and took off the last 1/2" of my left little finger. I drove
this car around a bit and then broke it-revenge is sweet :-) The second, a
manual SE5a was one of the few cars that made me a profit. The third , an
SE6a Auto was the best one, even if it did blow both head gaskets. I sold it
to a lad who then got busted for doing 103mph on the M6-the heads were
obviously OK then ;-). I had planned to fit a 2.9 injection V6 (Cologne),
with smart autobox. I even bought a galvanised chassis. But a certain
magazine, which shall remain nameless but whose initials are PC, stopped
using freelancers and cut off my money supply overnight. So, I had to sell
the bits-and my Mk.1 Cortina 'Woody' (unfinished) for peanuts (sob!).

Funny thing is that Scimitars-unless they are very, very smart-never fetch
any real money in this country.

BTW, I'm not sending this to the Triumph List 'cos GTEs use TR-based front
suspension, which might upset the listers.

Cheers,
Dave Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html