Re: Places to work on cars (other than home)

To: arabian@allegronet.com
Subject: Re: Places to work on cars (other than home)
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:15:00 -0600

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:47:48 -0500 Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
writes:
> Ok, heres a tangentially LBC problem I'm having and I need some
> advice.
>
> I'm just finishing up my masters, and I'm relocating to near
> Washington
> DC (Laurel, MD, actually - about 15 mi or so NE of the beltway).
> I'm
> trying to find a house to rent that has a garage so I can keep
> working
> on the TD, but I've had little luck.  Are there any other options
> taht
> I've missed?  I've heard tell of public storage places that will let
> you
> do it and the like, but nothing for certain.
>
> Any thoughts?  Recommendations?  I'm starting to get a bit
> frustrated
> here...
>
> Sorry for the semi OT post...
>
> A. Arabian

I went through this a few years ago when I first moved to Houston and
lived in an apartment.

I called around to several mini warehouse/public storage places.  Most
wouldn't allow me to work on my car in their storage areas, but I found
one that would.  I rented a space that was actually designed for RV or
boat storage.  It was large and tall enough to park a bus in it and cost
a couple hundred bucks a month.

Downside is poor lighting and ventilation and one electrical outlet.  You
can't walk into the house for refreshment, although there is usually a
public toilet.  Generally speaking, these things aren't located in the
best of neighborhoods and there are a lot of shady characters that use
them.

I was also quite surprised by the numbers of classic cars kept in them.
At mine I met a guy with an older Mercedes SL and a Karmann Ghia.  He
liked my MGA so much that he bought one!  There was also a guy with a 356
Porsche convertible and someone else with one of those Citroens with the
Maserati motor.

I eventually solved the problem by building a house with a three-car
garage.   Although it now has four cars in it and a fifth is sitting in
another public storage area!

Good luck!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX