1971 MGB Value

To: bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu
Subject: 1971 MGB Value
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:18:27 -0600
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:09:04 -0500 (EST) "Berrie C. Watson"
<bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu> writes:
> On another topic, I am thinking about selling my 71 MGBGT, since the
> chrome bumper models are hard to put a Rover V8 in....  and I am not
> sure
> what to ask for it.  The cyl head has been replaced and has had a
> valve
> job, and it has moderate rust in the usual places, etc etc.  Is 2K
> little, or should I base the price on what I paid for it ($2500)
> plus half
> add-on costs (another thousand).
>
> Being on this list for 3 years, I figured this would be the place to
> ask,
> since MG'rs are generally more forthcoming about the true worth of
> other
> MG's (not their own).  There are no blue books for these that I know
> of.
> Is there any generally accepted indicator of value?

There is a NADA book for classic cars.  My local MG club has it, and it
seems that the prices are about right from anecdotal evidence.  There are
some other books available (CPI?), but I'm not as familiar with them.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD