MGB half-shaft

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB half-shaft
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:44:22 -0600
Does anyone have the magic bullet for removing the MGB rear axle shaft? This
is a mk I wire wheel set-up. I removed the hub and brake backing plate,
separated the bearing cap and removed it, and reinstalled the hub (in order
to have something to pull against).

I disassembled a three-jawed puller, bolted it to a three-pound slide
hammer, grabbed the hub flange with the puller, and began banging away. When
that didn't work, I wrapped a length of log chain around the back of the hub
flange, bolted the chain ends to the slide hammer and started whanging away.
Still no movement, and, frankly, it's a little unnerving to bang away so
hard with nothing coming loose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David F. Darby