motor mounts-eng hoist

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: motor mounts-eng hoist
From: Larry Pitts <FUZZY95687@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:26:16 -0800 (PST)
Dear list:

    I pulled the motor from my 76 B this weekend. I
noticed while removing the bolts that the rubber motor
mounts were cracked. Well sure enough when the motor
was hoisted both mounts fell apart. At first I figured
I screwed up and caught the engine on the mounts when
I pulled the motor but upon examination of the mounts
it looks like the near side mount was fully cracked
through and the opposite mostly cracked through. The
far side mount is easily changed. MY question is how
is the driver's side mount changed? Does the steering
rack have to come out as the steering shaft passes
through the frame member? Also, the mounts installed
were not indexed would the mounts be mounted to the
engine first then the engine lowered in place? Seems
like things would get real tight trying to tightend
motor mounts to the frame with the eng installed. Any
sugestions on the easiest method of replacement would
be appreciated.

AS far as the engine hoist, I used a cahin hoist on an
"A" frame. However the list consuensus to my eng hoist
question was a 1 ton hoist would be adequete for most
jobs. Thanks for everyones input.

Larry Pitts
fuzzy95687@yahoo.com