Re: Clutch woes

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch woes
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:30:51 -0500
At 04:40 PM 4/4/2000 -0500, M. Edwin Vaughan wrote:
>.... As I was exiting the drive-thru I sort of lurched starting off, which
I hardly ever do and then I noticed that my clutch felt really odd. There
is way too much free-play in the pedal and the last bit of pedal travel
actually disengages the clutch, ....

BTDT, more than once.  If the clutch worked normally before your "launch",
and afterward only works at the very bottom of pedal travel, there's a good
chance you have delaminated a piece of the clutch lining material from the
friction disk, and it is interfering with full travel of the pressure
plate.  If you press the pedal to full travel and do get at least 1/2" of
travel at the slave cylinder, and the clutch is still not releasing
properly, then it's something amiss inside the bellhousing, and you're in
for considerable work.

Then again, maybe it's just air in the hydraulics, and you got lucky.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg