Fwd: clicking/ticking valve noise diagnosis

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: clicking/ticking valve noise diagnosis
From: Pointparty@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:36:01 EDT
--part1_62.23cffc3.261e3311_boundary

Pointparty@aol.com writes:

<< Looking for advice, counsel or informed opinions:

 My 71B gt with 97K miles on original engine with rebuilt head at 70K.  has a
 valve nioise which we are certain is in the #3 counting from the front.  It
 runns fine, good oil pressure, nothing has changed.   I have had two trusted
 MG pros check and recheck valve adjustments and everything is proper.

Thank you, thank you!  to all of you who responded to my post for advice.

Now I have an action plan which is to verify the integrity of the rocker
arms, bushings and the shaft.

(BTW the cost of 3-4 hundred is parts and labor to replace the complete
rocker arm assembly.   DIY is about half.)     I think I want the MG guru who
makes his living doing this to perform the exploratory surgery and necessary
repair.  I can do it but I have not seen enough of the various components
under battlefield conditions to know if what I am looking at needs repair,
replacement or can be used as is.

We use the car as a regular driver at least 3X a week and I continue to be
concerned that continued use will damage something down deep inside the
engine.

Again, thanks for all the good responses which I am taking to the
shop.....mel

--part1_62.23cffc3.261e3311_boundary