How much rust is too much?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How much rust is too much?
From: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 17:09:50 -0400
While I was underneath my car this weekend I saw more rust, which really
made me worried about the safety of the car.  It looks like the crossmember
is rusted, along with the sills, parts of the floors, the fenders, etc.  I
just want the car as a driver, but I'd like it to be safe enough to drive
without worrying about each bump.  The car doesn't fold when I open the
doors, but you can clearly see straight through to the ground along the
footwells.  Is it worth trying to fix, or should I sell it and try to find
one in better shape?   I don't know how to weld, and while I'd like to
learn, I don't have the time to do it well.  Like everyone else, my budget
for a hobby car is limited.

Mechanically the car is OK; the engine and transmission (o/d) work, the
brakes work, and the electrical system is mostly new.  I've gotten somewhat
attached to the car, and I like working on it, but I'd rather not spend a
lot of time and effort on a cart hat's not going to be safe enough to drive.

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)