Re: How much rust is too much?

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>,
Subject: Re: How much rust is too much?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:41:26 -0700
Any rust is too much! at least, in an ideal sense. But realistically,
most of us with unrestored 20-year-old cars have some, and some of us
have lots.

I've been struggling with a similar issue, and it's a difficult question.
At some level of commitment, any and all rust problems can be fixed (it's
unbelievable what they do to pass MOT in the UK). So one question is, how
committed are you to this car? But then you have raised the question of,
what is safe? and that is only answerable by examining the particular
car. It kind of depends if you are talking about surface rust, pitted
rust, or flaking, crumbling, poke-holes-with-your-finger-anywhere type of
rust. I can only say that the B is pretty robustly built, and that
"holey" floorboards are pretty common (at least in some regions), and are
not usually fatal.

In your case, if you are not sure about your ability (or willingness) to
take on an open-ended project, it might make sense to look for a better
car to drive, that you feel comfortable with. In my case, the problems
are more cosmetic than safety-related, and I have a lot more time
invested in the car, but part of my mind feels the same way. Fortunately
for the little red roadster, I don't have any money for car shopping. So
what if my pal's project car looks better than mine; in, out, and
underneath? It should -- it hasn't been out of its garage for twenty-one
years. At least mine's been on the road, in all weather.

Emotions aside, one thing you could do to set your mind at ease would be
to take your MG to one of the AAA auto safety inspections. For a small
fee a mechanic looks over your car for safety defects and makes
recommendations. At least you'd get a professional opinion without any
sales pressure. Or I'm sure one of the British car gurus on the list
would be glad to take a look at it and give you an evaluation (depending
on where you live, of course).

Good luck.

Steve Shoyer had this to say:

--