Re: radio sings the blues-test done

To: "Dave" <hearts@radiks.net>
Subject: Re: radio sings the blues-test done
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:05:44 -0700
The alternator should put out over 14.0V when the engine is over 2000 RPM.
If the voltage bumped to 8.5V then either a number of battery cells are
shorted (very unlikely to have more than one), or the alternator is bad. Did
you measure from chassis ground to the plus on the second battery? If so
then measuring each battery would produce about 3.5-4V. Are your battery
connections clean? Is the connection to the chassis renewed?. I would remove
all connections and clean and apply Vaseline to prevent oxidation.

If each battery is less than 4Vafter charging, my guess is that the
batteries are toast. Try charging again after cleaning connections. Charge
for 24 hours then retest. IF still under 12.8V total, the batteries are in
for replacement. Personally, I will stick with two batteries. More lead =
more starting power, even if the cold cranking amps are similar. The cost
just doesn't justify the swap in my opinion.

If batteries after cleaning and charging are > 12.8V, then start the car and
rev to over 2000 RPM. The voltage should rise to between 14.0 and 14.8VDC.
Still OK? Then alternator is probably working. (Only way to tell for certain
is to put a dead battery on the alternator with a ammeter in-circuit and see
if it will charge about 60 amps --my '69 MGB spec-- ). I would take the
batts to a repair shop and have them put their "load tester" on the batts.
This will tell you whether you need to replace them or not.

Good luck...
Tim
'69 BGT mona