Momentary hot running 'B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Momentary hot running 'B
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:31:18 +0000
Speaking of a hot running 'B...

I recently changed the oil in my 'B (yes, I got the plug out of the sump
with a VERY large wrench when it was up on a hoist - godzilla must have
put it in last time) and changed the oil filter at the same time.  I had
to put in a new sump plug as I had rounded the old one pretty badly.

Not long after the oil/filter change, I was driving along watching the
temperature guage go up to its normal halfway point when, horror of
horrors, it kept going very rapidly towards the red.  I headed for the
curb thinking something catastrophic had happened - or was about to
happen - when just as suddenly the temperature fell back to 'normal'
before I could come to a halt.

This was five days ago and this has not happened again.  I have driven
over two hundred miles since then (because I had to play Steward at a
country hillclimb) and all has been as normal since that time, in both
city (stop/start) and country driving.

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Eric
'68MGB MkII