Re: 77B engine rebuild

To: simonsensis@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 77B engine rebuild
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:17:50 EDT
In a message dated 04/16/2000 5:54:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
simonsensis@hotmail.com writes:

> Help.  Just removed the engine from my 77 B that has not been run for 8
>  years.  The crank does turn.  I have no experience with dismantling and
>  rebuilding engines - the goal is to do the minimum to get it into working
>  order.

The minimum in the case of a locked up engine will a lot more than you think.

>  What would you check out to determine whether I need to start removing
>  cranks, pistons etc?

Unless you are into self abuse EVERYTHING has to come out and be measured and
examined to determine functionality.  As Lawrie said the first thing to be
removed is the shop manual from the book shelf.  I would further recommend
that you get a hold of a Motors or Chiltons manual (not because of a stellar
MG section, they don't have one) and read the section on generic engine
rebuilding.  Also do you have a superb machine shop that you can trust?  Your
gonna need one.

>  What is a "must remove" and check out?

See above, also depending on what is locked up you may need the services of a
BFH during disassembly.

Rick