Re: Damper oil

To: "J. Garruba" <jgarruba@hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: Damper oil
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:09:45 -0500
Since that manual was printed, Leyland came out with a tech bulletin
advising the use of Dexron Automatic Trans fluid. There is usually a pretty
good annual discussion on the merits of 1) OE oil as you read 2) other oil
such as 30W 3) Other oils such as sewing machine, Mystery Marvel.

I got this tech info from a former Leyland mechanic about 5 years ago. Since
then I started using it in all my BCs: a Spitfire, an Xk-e and Tr6 with
Strombergs and a Midget, an MGA and a TR4a with SUs. I am in northwest
Illinois, don't drive them much in the dead of winter, but they run fine on
the occasion of going out on a nice January day.

The Dexron is formulated for transmissions and so must keep its viscosity
under a variety of internal and ambient temperatures. It doesn't damage the
rubber diaphragms that some carbs have (the purported reason behind
Leyland's decision not to suggest motor oils for carb dampers).

So, read all the responses, take your pick. I like the Dexron since it is
easily obtainable, relatively inexpensive and I keep it in a small bottle
with a tilt spout for topping up.

valerie stabenow