Re: First trip shakedown... little bits of advice please

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>,
Subject: Re: First trip shakedown... little bits of advice please
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:31:26 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Garner, Joseph P. <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
To: MG list (E-mail) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 9:09 AM

> ...  There are (and were) a couple
> of gravel chips in the paintwork which i would like to cover up before
they
> can lead to any rust. There's enough overspray here and there to make me
> think that the car has been resprayed. any tips on touching up these kinds
> of blemishes? Also, I want to protect the top and the tonneau from sun and
> rain. again any tips?

Just use a can of touch-up, the sort with brush inside the cap not a spray,
to fill them up. Don't be tempted to try and flat them down to get an
'invisible' repair for months if at all, the paint shrinks and if you do it
too soon you will be left cavities again, and you will already have reduced
the thickness of the surrounding paint.

> ... the mechanic who serviced the
> car last week said that the vacuum advance had been disabled and the
timing
> put forward 10 degrees to compensate. other than correcting this is there
> something else i should be looking for?

I understand that some late North American cars with electronic ignition
(there were two types) had a vacuum capsule but it was non-functioning from
the factory.  Therefore the timing should *not* be advanced over factory
specs or you could get pinking/pinging and eventual engine damage.  If your
distributor is a 45DE4 have a look at the web site below for the timing
specs - select 'Spanners' and 'Dizzie Curves' then scroll down to find your
serial number.

PaulH.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk