Long trip for nothing

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Long trip for nothing
From: "David Deutsch" <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:27:59 -0400
Well I'm back from a very disappointing 775+ mile round trip L.I., NY to
Richmond, VA and back. The Healey BJ8 that I when to buy was only worth half
it's "firm" selling price of $20,000. "Pristine" was far from what this was.
I felt bad for it's owner/seller cause I really believe that he had no idea
what was wrong with the car. The body shop that had it for four months
($7500+ bill) had MAYBE 1 man week into the car. Maaco put a better paint
job, on a GT I used to own, at a total cost of $750-. Oil pressure was 40 at
start up but after 10 minutes of running dropped to below 20. Steering box
needed rebuild, overdrive not working......etc. I called the fellow I was
buying it for and gave him the less than glowing report, made a more than
generous offer of $12,000-, which was refused and headed home.

Got a visit in and dinner with Ian Pender on the way home. Got a look at the
RV8 suspension that is being installed in his MGB V8 tomorrow. It's a thing
of beauty w/ coil over tube shock suspension and quad piston brake calipers.

It's been a 20 hour day for me so I'm off to dream of nicer cars.

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch