Re: What's in the Canister in the Oil Pan?

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's in the Canister in the Oil Pan?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:20:55 EDT
In a message dated 04/21/2000 4:28:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BobMGT@aol.com writes:

<< I have the oil pan off of the engine in my TD. I see there is some sort of
 canister that has a pipe that goes to a fitting on the side of the pan. Is
 there some sort of filter in that canister? Does it need to be cleaned or
 replaced? I removed the nut on the bottom of the canister, but I'm having
 trouble getting the darn thing apart. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That is the oil pick up.  It has a screen filter in it (Usually.  I don't
have a TD!) to keep large bits from circulating thru the engine if you blow a
bearing or connecting rod!

Not much service required.  You could spray some carb cleaner up into it if
you want to be really picky about cleaning everything.  Most concours judges
never check the oil pickup.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget