Re: Not Brake Fluid again!

To: James.Nazarian@colorado.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not Brake Fluid again!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:20:53 EDT
In a message dated 04/22/2000 6:48:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU writes:

<< I don't mean to start the debate about brake fluid, but If I switch from
 Silicone to Dot 4.  I am gonna run denatured alcohol through the system, but
my
 question is:  All the seals and lines are about 5 years old, do I need to
 change all the seals and rebuild all the cylinders.  When I did the brakes
 I cleaned the pistons up front, and now they are sticking a bit; the M/C
 and rears were replaced. I am rebuilding a spare set of calipers, but do
 the rears and M/C need to be done as well?  If you are wondering, the
 whole system is getting bled because its been a while. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK, here we go!  If you have used the same DOT 5 (silicone) in the system for
5 years, I would continue to use DOT 5.  Just flush the system with fresh DOT
5 until most of the old is out, then bleed as normal.

If you switch to DOT 4, keep in mind that DOT 5 and DOT 4 cause the rubber
seals to swell at different rates.  The change may cause problems everywhere,
unless you rebuild everything. (IMHO)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget