Overdrive question oil type and relief valve construction

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive question oil type and relief valve construction
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:03:54 -0400
I installed a '77 or '79 model overdrive (type LH) on my
'80 MGB about six months ago and have a couple of
questions about it:

1.  What type of oil are you supposed to put into the MGB
gearbox/overdrive?  The original owner's manual  for my car says to
put in the same type of oil as you put into the engine.  Before installing
the overdrive I was using Castrol GTX 10w40 in the gearbox and
I used the same initially when I put in the overdrive.  I have since
heard that you should use only nondetergent straight 30 weight
oil in an overdrive.

2.  When I changed the oil in the gearbox/overdrive, I tried to
follow the instructions in the manual for cleaning the filter
on the relief valve.  On removing this collection of springs
and other bits, I found that it looks quite different from
the illustrations in the manuals and the Moss catalog (p. 43 -
MGB-13).

What I have is roughly as follows:

The whole setup is surrounded by a cylindrical mesh
screen which seems to be intended to keep out the large
bolders.

Going from top to bottom:

A plunger with a hole down the middle and a flange at one end.
Inside of this there is a small ball bearing held in place by a small
spring.

A larger spring.

Some shims or thin washers.

A tube with another piece which fits inside of it.  The inside piece
sticks up a bit and has a slot in the top.  There is a fine mesh screen
which surrounds the bottom of this part and is, I assume, the part
that I was supposed to clean. ( I did.)

The plug which holds all of this in place and has a small o-ring
set into groove cut into its top surface.

The overdrive worked fine after I reassembled all of the above bits
and filled it with my usual 10w40, so I assume that I have all of the
pieces I am supposed to have.  Can anyone tell me what this
device is supposed to do and how I will know if it is not working
properly?

Thanks,

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY