more idiot questions

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more idiot questions
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:11:52 -0700
Hi everyone

I had an interesting, but unsatisfying evening tinkering today. First on the
list was reconneting/taping up a loose wire (door alarm switch) to the
buzzer. After unscreewing the gear shift knob and taking off the arm rest
panel, and unscrewing the lower instrument panel, and taking off the heater
control knobs i discover (to my annoyance) that my socket set wasn't deep
enough to undo the retaining nuts on the heater controls, so i wound up
fishing the offending wire out from behind the instrument panel with a pair
of tweezers and taping it up... talk about wasted effort. anyway, I my peace
of mind is better now that i don't have a loose wire floating around back
there.

So i'm doing my monthly checks, and i'm onto checking the carb. oil. (one of
the answers to my previous post about poor fuel efficincy was to check the
carb oil level).  Well the Haynes manual says you should have about 1/4" of
resistance when you drop the piston back in... hmmm.... mine seems to slide
in without any resistance at all.  eeek. So here's my idiot question. The
mechanic who checked the car over for me before i bought it told me i could
top up the oil just by taking the piston out and pouring the oil straight
in. The Haynes manual says to take off the air filter assembly first. There
must be rhyme and reason to this so i was wondering (idiot second question
coming up) why this is recommended. I'm one of these annoying people who
isn't simply happy to follow instructions... I like to know why i'm doing
what I'm doing...

Thanks in advance!

cheers

Joe