Re: [RAVE] Bonnet Bashing Blues

To: Gonaj@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RAVE] Bonnet Bashing Blues
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:41:03 +0000
George wrote:

> A story like that certainly gives a heads up to people like myself
> who hadn't really given much thought to a hood strap.  I now have a
> different outlook.
>
> Thanks for thr nudge.

George,

I can tell you that for a moment there *I* had a different outlook...
all I could see was a pretty pale primrose colour instead of the road in
front of me :-)  See, he hasn't looked at the poor little crumpled thing
for a day or so and is already managing to make a joke or two (grrrr).

Each time I see my term 'bonnet/hood strap' repeated back to me I get
concerned by what people may make of this.  I almost picture one of
those ornate leather belt/strap type affairs that go from one side of
the bonnet to the other on much older vehicles.

My strap was a (ghastly yellow) webbing strap with a buckle-type
arrangement at one end - with a toothed clamping affair that holds the
other end firm when fed through the buckle which is then clamped shut.

The strap was fed through the two holes either side of the bonnet-lock
hook in the bonnet itself so that when it was not buckled up both ends
hung loosely from the bonnet.  With the bonnet/hood down to about one
foot from closed, I would feed the strap through an appropriate strong
point (in my case through the metal loop that the bonnet hook/catch
locked through) and buckle it up.  The bonnet could then not rise more
than this distance if the catch gave-way (unless some pillock forgot to
do it up).  The bonnet is then latched down as per normal, being sure
not to foul the strap.

So... that is what *my* bonnet strap was.

I am still seriously thinking about two ugly holes with the post and
clip affairs to lock the bonnet in place.

Aaaarrgghhh... I am thinking about it again!  Tomorrow is not a holiday
so I will be on the phone hunting down a new bonnet - or getting local
sage advice on my best course of action.  Don't worry, I will have the
courage tomorrow to take a few pictures to show the world how STUPID I
was.

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement.

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS Anyone here remember how I once ran my own foot over?