Re: [Fwd: MG's] H E L P

To: mgrick@ptd.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: MG's] H E L P
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:30:29 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/00 6:47:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mgrick@ptd.net
writes:

<< When you put it in gear and start to let off the clutch, the car basically
 has no power, and feels like it going to die. the slightest incline majes
 it slow to a putter and not move. if you happen to get it going once to
 are about to put it into 3rd gear it seems top pick up, but still has
 little power.

 I am pretty much trying to restore it alone and learn as much as i can so
 I am not sure where to turn. The other thing I notcies is the prior owner
 or the one b4 that removed the air pump and the rest of the EEC gear, the
 air pipes that go into the manifold on the right side of the engine have
 been cut and crimped. I am assuming since the engine runs fine out of gear
 that the EEC system is not my major issue. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rick,

It sounds like the carb needs to be adjusted, or perhaps it needs different
needles to make up for the de-smogging.  Before you get into that, check the
ignition timing and make sure the valve lash is adjusted properly.  Both of
these are easy, no cost items.  It could also be related to the ignition
advance.  If it's a vacuum advance, take the hose off, take the dist. cap
off, and suck on the hose.  If the plate moves, the advance is probably OK.

The desmogging sounds like it was done properly, so I wouldn't worry about it.

(For Rick Brown, if you can put it in gear and rev the engine, the clutch is
slipping and needs to be changed.  That doesn't sound like what Rick is
describing.)

First thing you want to do is to sign up for this e-mail list.  Go to:
www.team.net and follow the directions to get on the MGs list.  You will find
more info than you could ever imagine here.  Next, buy some manuals on the
car.  The Bentley series is a reprint of the factory manual, and the Haynes
book is also good.  Also, get a catalog on your MG from Moss Motors.  (Go to:
www.mossmotors.com and download it in .pdf format.)

Let us know how you make out.  And when you get on the list, post a little
about yourself and your interest in MGs.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport