Re: tips? 71 MGB-GT

To: Sheila Stokes-Begley <brigid@solve.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tips? 71 MGB-GT
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:17:16 -0500
At 07:46 PM 4/26/2000 -0500, Sheila Stokes-Begley wrote:
>My 71 MGB-GT (Millicent) has been up on blocks for about the last 3 years
.... Prior to this the heater fan worked. .... she began a screaming sort
of noise, .... Now .... the heater fan doesn't work, and it worked just
fine before. .... I had been hoping it would be something simple to get to
like maybe a dirt dauber nest in the fan, ha, nothing so easy ....

Well, maybe not too easy, but maybe not too expensive either (like really
cheap) if you don't mind playing around with it a little.  This sounds like
a classic case of dry bronze bushings in the heater motor.  A couple of
drops of lubricant in the right spots can probably work wonders.
Unfortunately, the right spots aren't always that easy to get at.  Where
have we heard that before?  You know you have to do some things before you
take some things off, and you have to take some things off before you do
other things, and you want to get everything done right before you have to
put things back on.  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, you will need to remove the heater blower motor from the heater
box, then maybe remove the squirrel cage blower from the shaft just to get
to the working end of the shaft to oil it there.  To get to the tail end
bearing you have to part the motor case in the middle and pull the shell
off, in which case the carbon brushes like to pop out of place.  This is
one of those golden opportunities to replace the carbon brushes if they are
a little short.  You can often find suitable replacement parts at a local
hardware store.

Once you get the shaft and bushings all oiled up you can have a lot of fun
getting it together again, particularly figuring out how to hold the
brushes just right so they slip past and just rub on either side of the
commutator on the way in. ..... ..... Hell, I can't explain this in public
with a straight face.  Reassembly is there reverse of disassembly, so just
feel your way through and figure it out as you go.  Sometimes things go
together easier if you turn the lights out first.  <Flame Suit ON>

I've been working to hard,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com