Re: Rebuilt alternators

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Rebuilt alternators
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:25:26 -0600
Lucas alternators not last very long??  Sounds like your original 29 year
old unit lasted a while. I've been running the same alternator in my 71BGT
since I bought the car in 1983 and 17 years and 150k+ miles later, it still
works. I did replace the brushes once, about 10 years ago I think. I'd say
that is pretty impressive for an alternator.

And unlike American alternators that often do not last anywhere near that
long, you can buy the parts and rebuild a Lucas alternator rather than
having to discard the whole unit for a new one.

My 74 Toyota Landcruiser also sports a Lucas alternator and voltage
regulator. I put them in about 5 years ago. Back when we had a local
British car parts dealer and official Lucas distributor - even though in
his last few years of operation he was selling more Japanese car parts and
much less English parts.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT