Re: Fan noise

To: "MANZI,STEVE \(HP-Cupertino,ex3\)" <steve_manzi@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Fan noise
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:44:14 -0700
Hi Steve:
Nothing is ever black and white is it???

Bronze bushings are considered "self lubricating". Which means the bushing
should need no oil or very light duty oil to be completely operational. My
gut feeling is that BOTH the motor armature shaft and the bushings are
wearing, though the bushings are  wearing at a higher rate because steel is
harder than bronze. To repair this you can pack it with high viscosity
grease, as you have done with success (and I have had less success with), or
replace the bushings (which ironically eventually may not work because of a
too-small OD shaft).

My problem is that I packed the bushings with axle grease (which has
graphite in it) and it was not of high enough viscosity to work ALL the
time. It works sometimes, but with low battery voltage, or very cold
startups it is not always quiet. So I will pull the motor and replace
bushings and brushes together.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply...
Kind regards..
Tim
'69 MGBGT Mona

P.S. I removed my center console/armrest today because it hit my knee and
made driving uncomfortable. Any body need a console??