Vibration, Overdrive and such

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vibration, Overdrive and such
From: grhacker@wfl.fha.dot.gov (Gary R Hacker)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:12:07 -0700
I have been too busy to participate lately, but I wanted to share a few
things I have been able to work on with my 75 B.

I have seen a few comments on u-joints and vibrations lately.  I was
working on the vibration/shaking at 60+ mph myself.  I started trying to
replace the u-joints on my car but ended up going to a professional auto
machine shop.  Lou was kind enough to allow me to watch as he replaced
my old u-joints and balanced my drive shaft.  He showed me why I would
still be chasing my tale with drive shaft vibration if I had just
replaced the u-joints myself.  Drive shaft was straight (lucky there)
but very much out of balance.  After he finished, he professionally
marked the proper orientation of shaft and yoke for the next time this
operation has to be done.  $50 and I was able to drive the B at 80 mph
for the first time.  It isn't perfect yet and there is still wobble but
I am taking it step by step.  I then attacked the stay rod that hooks
the transmission to the bell housing.  After cleaning what seemed like
tons of old oil and grease away from the area, I unbolted the stay rod
and brackets.  The rubber spacers were like mush.  I haven't got
replacements for them yet, but it may improve things when I do.

The next surprise was finding that I do have an overdrive transmission.
The serial number of my car indicates that this must have been put in by
one of the many POs.  I never thought to look that close at the
transmission before.  The overdrive does not work when I tried to engage
it at the wiper switch.  The wires I could find from under the car are
all   connected, so I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting to get
the o/d to work.  Any ideas?

For anybody in the greater Portland, Oregon area, Club T MG's annual
swap meet is tomorrow starting at 9 AM at Montgomery Park.

"Safety Fast"

Bob Hacker
1975 MGB
Vancouver, Washington