Re: Vibration, Overdrive and such

To: grhacker@wfl.fha.dot.gov
Subject: Re: Vibration, Overdrive and such
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 18:25:38 -0400
Bob,
  Test that you have 12v to the solenoid with the car in 4th gear,
ignition on and OD switch on.  If not, then test that there is power to
the OD side of the 3/4 gear switch. Work backwards until you have 12v
somewhere, the forward until you get 12v at the solenoid wire (the little
black one entering the OD).
  At the OD, if there is power to the solenoid, it may or may not work.
The early ODs would click when the solenoid moved. The LH types do also,
but it's so soft you can't hear it unless your ear is on the OD.  Don't
go replacing the solenoid until you are sure that it's at fault. They are
expensive, but have only one moving part, so there isn't a lot to go
wrong.
  Then pull off the bottom bits of the OD, using the shop manual as your
guide. Replace all the little rubber parts. They perish with age, and the
OD requires 400 psi + to work. Be sure that the pump plunger moves. It's
quite possible to install it 180 degrees out (check the drawing very
carefully and see the offset of the roller) so that it pushes once and
jams in the bore.
  If, after all is done, you have electricity to the OD, solenoid works,
all rubber bits are new and the pump works, the problem is greater than
most mortals can solve.  But, odds are that you can get it working with
just a few bucks and lots of time invested.
Bob