Re:Vibration

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Vibration
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:41:18 -0700
Loose or broken spokes in the front wheels will definitely cause a
feedback vibration through the steering wheel, but it wouldn't be
concentrated in a specific speed range (60mph). My experience with my
MGB, before and after various parts were replaced, including front end
rebuild, new steering rack, steering column bush, tire rotation,etc, is
that the resonant frequency of the body shell is reached at 60-62mph, and
at this speed all vibration, noise, etc, is accentuated. It must be worse
in a GT with the enclosed metal cockpit. This is a function of the mass,
wheelbase, tire circumference, and what have you, so there isn't much
that can be done about it, except to take what steps you can to reduce
noise, vibration and harshness in general. In modern cars computer
modeling in the design stage assures that the resonant frequencies of the
drivetrain and unibody cancel out or at least do not reinforce each other
at normal speeds.

Sheila Stokes-Begley had this to say:

--

Max Heim