Re: Alternator Woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator Woes
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:47:47 EDT
In a message dated 05/02/2000 4:44:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ckotting@iwaynet.net writes:

<< A 1977 MGB is Negative Ground, so the voltage potential between
 negative and ground should be zero. >>

Chris,

You are correct, the electric potential between negative and ground SHOULD be
zero, that would mean there is no electrical draw on the system.  But if you
disconnect the ground cable and run a voltmeter between the ground and
negative terminal (or ground and postive terminal for positive ground cars),
the voltometer will pick up a voltage reading depending on if there is a
light on, the clock connected, or a short in the fused or unfused hot circuit.

I don't think I will mess with the diodes.  The alternator has a lifetime
warrenty from Kragen, so I will just take it back to them.

Thanks for your help!

Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB