Alternator Woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Woes
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 02:46:57 EDT
Listers,

I have a draw on the battery in my 1977 MGB due to a short.  After I
disconnect the clock, the potential difference between the battery negative
and ground is about 11.8v.  I start checking the items on the brown (hot) and
purple (fused hot) circuits, but everything makes the voltmeter jump up to
~12.8v (battery voltage).  I pull my pullout stereo out, and the potential
difference drops to about 8.5 volts (I think this is because the stereo has a
battery that keeps the presets saved.  The battery is probably about 3v-does
this sound right?)

8.5 volts is still a pretty big draw, so I keep digging around.  I  start
pulling wires, when I get to the alternator plug the potential difference
drops to about 0.5v.

How can my alternator be drawing 8v?  Is my alternator bad?  Even if it is
still charging the battery at 13+v?  Is there any thing else I should check
before I take the alternator in for an exchange (Lucas rebuilt alternator,
lifetime warranty!)?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Steve Sanchez