Re: Cleaning a slimy engine prior to painting.

To: Gonaj@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cleaning a slimy engine prior to painting.
From: "Mike G." <mike_mgb_1980@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
How to paint your engine

The engine is your car's heart. Painting your engine
will increase the value of your car, and it will
probably run better and cooler too. First of all you
need to use a degreaser to remove the heavy dirt, oil
and dirty stuff off the engine. You may want to repeat
this process couple of times depending on the
condition of the engine's surface. For any tough
stains you may want to use a steel brush to clean
those areas. Remove any parts that may hinder the
painting process, such as hoses, wires, distributor
and the like, use your own judgment as to what needs
to be removed. Once all the dirt, oil, grime and
grease have been removed, then use a brake cleaner
spray to remove any residue. The brake cleaner will
leave the engine oil free and super clean. Let it dry
and then mask all the areas that you do not want to be
painted, including the fenders, and then you are ready
to start painting the engine. Be sure to use heat
resistant engine paint only! It can be purchased at
your local automotive parts store, or one the many
British car parts companies like "Moss Motors".
Remember the engine must be very, very clean for the
paint to bond to the metal. If the engine has not been
cleaned thoroughly the paint will not bond and it will
bubble up after couple of weeks from the heat. Good
luck with your engine-painting project!

Mike