Cleaning a slimy engine prior to painting.

To: "Chris Kotting" <ckotting@iwaynet.net>, "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cleaning a slimy engine prior to painting.
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 15:43:31 -0600 (MDT)
I am going to be going though an engine from a running parts car I drove for
about 45 days.  The Engine is slimy with oil and dirt that built up over the
years.  I am planning on going though the bottom of the engine and putting a
new head on it.

My question is how can I clean this up well enough to have a new coat of engine
pain look good on it?

I already have it out of the car.  I cleaned it at the car wash while it was
still installed, but I didn't get a lot of the slime off.  I have gone over it
with a scraper and pealed a bunch off but it is by no means ready.  For the
most part you cannot see the original color of the engine still.

Thanks!

Andrew