Re: Distributor Wobble Question

To: JustBrits@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Wobble Question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 02:24:27 -0500
Mine wasn't a bushing, but much more like Bob's problem with the sloppy
advance plate.  It had been through too many wars.  As is my habit, I had
repaired it about three times first, having welded up the slot in the
breaker plate, replaced the plastic slider buttons with brass bits, and
even snugged up the center pivot of the breaker plate once.  This was all
about 10 years back, and any new dizzy was generally BO'd at the time.  The
Mallory unit was $119 at the time.  While I was waiting for the new unit to
be delivered I found a decent used original type dizzy body with a good
breaker plate assembly for $15 and reconditioned that one for about $.02
worth of penetrating oil and a half hour of fiddling.  I still keep it
around for a spare, and I may be using it sometime soon, as the "new"
Mallory unit now has about 125,000 miles on it and is showing signs of age.

Barney

At 07:14 PM 5/4/2000 EDT, JustBrits@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 05/04/2000 4:18:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
>barneymg@ntsource.com writes:
>
><< A new Mallory unit fixed the problem for me, but only because it was
cheaper than a new Lucas unit. >>

>Sorry, Barney:  my .02.
>
>List prices:
>Bushing, Dist. = $ 39.95
>Driving dog ...=  $  8.95
>Pin, Dog........=  $    .60
>Total.............=  $ 49.50
>
>Surely, a machinest can be found to take care of the rebuild for less than
the difference of $ 159.45 ??  ('least I know of one!)