Millicent & Sheila's Excellent Adventure

To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Millicent & Sheila's Excellent Adventure
From: Sheila Stokes-Begley <brigid@solve.net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 22:56:28 -0500
Well, the mechanic formerly known as Ralph, and now known as the
mechanic who drives MGs upon the water has worked his magic.
I was frustrated and discouraged that I couldn't straighten out
Millicent's wiring problems myself. I am now, so very very grateful. I
have spent 3 wonderful days under the teaching of "the mechanic who
drives MGs upon the water" and realize I got what I needed, not what I
wanted. I have learned so very much. Sort of like the thing about give a
man a fish and feed him for a meal, teach him to fish and feed him for a
life time. Turns out the reason Ralph is a wonderful teacher, is, Ralph
is a teacher. Taught Auto mechanics, go figure. I brought Millicent home
last night, and she FLEW, on the highway, I mean FLEW!! I've never ever
driven her that fast, part of it is me, the other part is the nasty
vibration at anything over 55mph. Well, it is amazing, simply amazing
what 6 oz. of weight per tire will do. No, I don't mean point six, I
mean six, per tire. This will do till I can save up for the tires Ralph
recommended. I have all electrical units working (well, not sure about
rear window defogger, haven't checked that yet). But we came home doing
65 mph, I mean 65 mph!! I just couldn't believe it. OH, and by the way,
when we pulled out of Ralph's drive,  Millicent threw gravel! I know how
to use a flow meter to check my carbs. Millicent has never thrown
gravel. Not that we plan to make a habit of this. So today, I put new
plug wires on, new fan belt, and new dust booties over her emergency
brake cable. I thought I was going to have to replace the reverse light
switch, but got off lucky there, when I went to do it, and pulled one of
the wires going to it and realized there was exactly one, and I mean one
copper wire going into the connector, I put a new connector on, and lo
and behold, there were reverse lights! So now, I think she just needs a
good bath and wax. We have had quite the week Millicent and I, but I do
believe we are ready to hit the road, and go do some errands, cruise,
heck anything. Watch out folks, here we come!!
Best,
A very jubilant Sheila
Millicent 1971 MGB-GT