Re: (Lawrie) Low oil pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (Lawrie) Low oil pressure
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 10:02:19 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-27666-245

My best recollection on this is the "trapped" inserts can be very
_gently_ tapped (a small, light hammer and punch will do the job) on the
visible edge opposite the locking tab.  This causes them to rotate round
the journal and into a position wherefrom they can be pulled free.

The new insert is installed, in the presence of much oil and/or prelube,
by reversing the procedure.  Smooth end first, it is slid into and then
round the space twixt journal and block, until the locking tab is
engaged.

In order for the above to apply, it is necessary first to remove the
journal caps.  I cannot recall if the rear cap can be removed with the
engine in the car.  But it may not be pivotal.

If the journals are decent but the inserts worn, some oil pressure
improvement can be had merely by replacing those inserts which _are_
accessible.  The resulting pressure rise will help preserve what remains
of the inserts(s) which could not be serviced.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250