Re: Sub Frame Pad?

To: SRegel@dpra.com
Subject: Re: Sub Frame Pad?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:02:15 -0400
Scott,
  Perhaps if you took him a copy of the Moss catalogue he could show you
the piece he mentions.  There are "mounting pad, upper & lower", Moss #
264-900 and 264-905, on the front suspension page.
  Bearings will not cause low compression readings. This low pressure on
one cylinder could be either rings or valves. It's probably valves, but
you can test this yourself.  With spark plugs out, test the compression
in all cylinders. Write down the numbers. Then, put a tablespoon of motor
oil into cyl #1 and test compression. Write it down.  Do this for each
cylinder.  If your compression tests with the oil show greater pressures,
it's because the extra oil is providing a temporary seal of the worn
rings.  If there is no significant change, it's telling you that the
rings are not the major cause of low compression, so it's going to be the
valve (s).   You could make arrangements with a shop for you to remove
the head and for them to do the machine shop work, or for them to do the
entire job. In either case, they do the valve and seat work.
Bob