Funny Noise when Braking Hard

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Funny Noise when Braking Hard
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:16:43 EDT
When I brake real hard (like just one click short of locking up the wheels) I
hear a momentary sound like something is rubbing against something that's
rotating. It makes a hollow tubular sound like a tail pipe or drive shaft.
But I also see that my plastic fan blades tips are chewed up on the side that
faces the radiator. (But I don't see any marks on the radiator itself.) The
front motor mounts look real good and the motor feels real solid when I try
to shake it by hand. The fan blades looked like this when I bought the car.
Could the engine pitch forward far enough to touch the radiator under an
emergency stop? Maybe the fan blade is just a red herring. Anybody know of a
problem that could cause this sound under severe braking?
BTW: this is a '71 B.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336