Galli's 78B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Galli's 78B
From: "Robert C. Galli" <rcgalli@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 20:21:47 -0400
Recently moved from Chicagoland to New Jersey (stay - Edison; work-Short
Hills).  Looking for mechanics (I don't have a shade tree at my townhouse)
though I've done a lot over the years.  Found a Club in Dover , NJ but I'm
often gone on club nites.

Problem:
Drive 15 - 20 minutes with no problem - runs strong, etc.  Then, tach
becomes erratic - goes from actual to "0", I goose it, it goes back to
actual.  Turn signals also now (after 15-20 mins, but not before) cause
erratic tach movements (didn't do this for first 15 minutes or so).  During
the erratic period, the engine will sometimes begin to die - goosing to
2500 or so brings it back.  Sometimes, while coasting (even in gear) the
engine will die.  In all cases, so far, it starts up quite nicely and runs
for a minute or so before going thru the problem cycle.  In 15 mile trips
(to-from work - 2 trips so far), it has stalled maybe 4-6 times total.  it
sometimes 'flutters' before getting very balky.

Have a Weber downdraft (I put on 10 years ago) and an aftermarket fuel pump
(no name - been on since I got it in '89) which ticks like a
woodpecker.  Valve clearance OK, timing (when last checked) was OK.  It ran
just fine in Chicago - Hmmmmmm!  Maybe I'm not the only one who's having
trouble adjusting to the NE of this great country!

I replaced the coil and it seems to work better than before - but not by
much (above symptoms are post-coil).  I've cleaned some (but not all)
grounds, fuse connections, and the like.

Any experience?  Ideas?  Prince of Darkness?  Mr. Weber (the carb, not the
grill)?

Thanks
Bob Galli
'78B