Cracked head!!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cracked head!!
From: <SRegel@dpra.com> (Scott Regel)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:59:59 EDT
Well I got the 76 B home the other day and went to check the
compression...still 150, 80, 110, 130.  Started to do all the great tests you
guys gave me to see if it was rings, valve or gasket.  Turned out to be a
crack between #2 and #3.  Ugh!  The only good thing about it is that I wanted
to put an aluminum head on any way...maybe crossflow.  Just need to shake the
old money tree and see what will fall out!  If I go with just the aluminum
head, I have a chance to buy a kit with dual rebuilt HIF SU's and manifold
from a local shop for about $800 to replace the worn out weber on there now.
I know which ever route I take it will require a trip to the head shop (wow
just had a flash back ;)) to have the new head checked.  My local shop says
that he has had to mill new aluminum heads that were actually warped when
they came from the supply place.  So question for the list...where can I get
a good aluminum head...VB, Moss, ???  Any thing I should watchout
for...problems with these heads?  Are re-manufactured heads just as good
(besides the weight factor)?

TIA

Scott
76 B