Engine breathing & battery fit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine breathing & battery fit
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 17:40:39 -0400
Dear listers,

Last week I finally have had the BGT on the road, although it is not
certified yet and so it still does not have licence plates. I use garage
plates when I'm on the road.
Anyway an experienced friend has done the final adjustments on the HS4's,
which have been fully restored with new spindles and bearings, new needles
and jets.
All things which had to be done before were allright: valves and timing
(perhaps the dynamic timing adjustments should be redone).

It really is great to be on the road after 10 years I have the car and did
not drive it for any mile yet!

Starting goes well when cold now.
Idle is fine and smooth. Faster driving is allright as well, although I miss
a bit of power there.
When driving with little throttle at an easy pace, the engine starts to
backfire a bit. Also when at low revs and pushing the accelerator down, the
effect is the same.
I also have the feeling, the engine lacks a bit of power when accelerating.
Any hints where to look for?

I also have new B batteries. As my source for tires and batteries is a local
... company where I get nice prices I also have a non-standard battery set.
These are so wide, I had to remove a kind of collar around it (some cars
have battery clamps holding the batteries there...)
Now the left battery box still has no room enough to hold the battery.
The minus (-) terminal wire is bolted onto the car's chassis is the last
obstructing part.
What alternative grounding point can I use?

Thanks in advance..

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT