Re: Hard Starting

To: "Douglas B. Gaither" <dbgaither@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Starting
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:40:45 +0100
I don't know what no spark getting to the fuel sounds like, as opposed to
any other reason why the engine cranks over but won't fire up, but a problem
with the ignition switch could conceivably cause the symptoms you describe -
no voltage to the coil in the 'start' position but there is in the 'run'
position.  Clip a voltmeter to the coil +ve and see what you get with the
key in both positions.

I am assuming you have an unballasted system i.e. a 12v coil.  During no
cranking you should see about 12v, during cranking you should see about 10v,
less if the battery is not good or you have bad connections.  If you have
the ignition switch problem you will not see any voltage (or possibly a very
low voltage) during cranking.

A ballasted system is a little more complicated - you could see either 12v
or about 6v when not cranking and about 8v when cranking.

PaulH.