Shimmy

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Shimmy
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 20:10:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, I know there have been several threads over
front-end vibrations in the past few months, but I did
not see one that really discussed diagnosing the
problem. My 76 B Tourer has a really bad 'shake'
beginning at 55 mph - it goes at least to 60 mph,
which is as fast as I want to go with the front-end
shaking as it does.... So, my thoughts for fixing this
are as follows -

1) Have front tires balanced, test drive... If no
improvement, then....

2) Have front-end aligned, test drive... If no
improvement, what should be my next step?

Should I also have my rear tires balanced at the same
time as the fronts? Can a 'regular' alignment be done
on the MGB, at a 'regular' shop? How about a 4-wheel
alignment, or is this really only for more modern cars
that have some adjustment in the rear?

While I rarely drive over 55 mph (turning about 3,000
rpm and pretty noisy!) I don't like the idea of
something lurking in the front-end of my car.

TIA!

=====
Dan D
Dayton, NJ