Re: Shimmy

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shimmy
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:40:51 -0700
As a "free" first step, you might try rotating your rear tires to the
front. If that makes a difference, then wheel balance is your likely
culprit. With wire wheels, I'd rotate one at a time to determine which
one is out of balance, since truing is expensive.

Another free check is to go under the front and take a wrench to every
suspension bolt to check for tightness. I have found the bolts on the
lower arms "finger tight"  on more than one occasion.

In my experience, rear wheel balance is not likely to be a factor. When I
rotate a "shakey" wheel to the rear, the vibration felt through the
steering column goes away. A rear wheel out of balance may contribute to
general NVH, however. I don't think there is anything you can do with
rear wheel alignment.

Dan DiBiase had this to say:

--

Max Heim