RE: Anybody notice a lot of hostility in the air lately?

To: "'Lawrie Alexander'" <Lawrie@britcars.com>,
Subject: RE: Anybody notice a lot of hostility in the air lately?
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 00:55:56 -0700
I think it's the heat. At least, for those of us in CA.

Lawrie has a point though too. I've been saved hours of heartache and being
confused by various different people on this list, I'm amazed to log on and
see 10 replies in a row from Paul or Barney. Admittedly many go over my
head, but i save any and all replies to questions i have posted, and many
relevant to things i have been worrying about. I've said it before but i'll
say it again, and i'll say it in advance. Thank you.

I guess the best kind of thank you is to do the same in return for someone
else. That for me at least is one of the great joys of teaching, to be able
to repay in kind the immeasurable debt i owe to the people who taught me
from my parents, through my high school teachers, and my professors as an
undergraduate and a graduate student. A debt like that can only ever be paid
by helping out someone else and passing the karma on (sorry can't think of a
better word - no tree hugging intended). That's why when i reply to a
question (which okay happens rarely given the fact that i barely know my
mechanical arse from my elbow) I try and take as much time as I can. Whether
explicit or not, i think most of the people on this list have a similar
attitude - it is manifest in the general air of support and friendliness,
and the wealth of advice from experts and novices alike. So in short, thank
you everybody.

cheers

Joe.

p.s. russian proverb: "a kind word is better than a big pie"

_________________

Dr. Joseph Garner
Department of Animal Science,
University of California,