Re: New lister, broken thermostat housing bolt.

To: Chris Rose <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Re: New lister, broken thermostat housing bolt.
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:36:29 -0400
Hi Chris,

You should be able to do this yourself. First, do NOT break off any more of the
bolt or stud that remains. That was a gift from your guardian angel. CAREFULLY,
try to coax the other bolts or studs lose. If you detect any movement, apply
some
good penetrating oil, (i.e.: Kroil and PB Blaster seem better than WD-40 and
Liquid Wench), working the thread CCW (counterclockwise), then go back 1/4 turn
CW. This technique is very similar to the method used to tap a thread. Once
those
bolts, nuts or studs are removed, you can focus your attention on the broken
bolt.
Apply more of that good penetrating oil to the remaining stud several times over
the course of 30 minutes. You may want to heat it gently with a propane torch.
Get
it hot but not so much that it glows.

Yes, the oil will ignite, so be prepared for it, and blow it out (or snuff it
with
a water-wetted rag). You want to be sure you can see the alignment of the stud
changing as you turn it, so, make a line on the broken surface from L-R or front
to rear using a fine water proof marker, or a pencil. When the threaded stud is
still hot - warm, give the juncture of the stud and the head another shot of
penetrating oil. Let everything cool down. A good sized locking pliers
(Vise-Grip
or RoboGrip are good) should now be used to grab the stud and carefully work it
CCW and CW until it starts turning freely. MAKE SURE THE STUD IS TURNING, or it
will break again. If it is not turning, heat it, oil it, try turning it, heat
it,
oil it, try turning it.... until it does turn.

This should do it, but remember this sage advice:

 "If you need to use a lot of muscle... you are doing it WRONG!"

Good luck, and welcome to the looney bin.

Jim

(the old guy; There is another of us with the same name. He is my son, James. I
taught him everything I knew about MG's, and somehow he ends up knowing more
than
I do.... Go figure!)