Re: Sheared Bolt

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sheared Bolt
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:23:21 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/00 7:03:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Whilst replacing some corroded cooling system pipes, one of the bolts which
>  goes from the engine head and holds the thermostat housing in place
sheared
>  off while I was tightening the nut.

Nice story, Chris about reawakening a long-time family car.

While the thermostat housing may not leak (immediately) it would be as well
to deal with it now. Take the other bolts and the housing off, and soak the
base of the broken stud (or bolt, I have seen both) with penetrating oil.
Give it a try with visegrips, and if you have access to a torch give it a
good heating first, as it is a pain to have to drill it out in the car, and a
little tough to do properly.

Good luck.

Bill S.