Re: Engine wont keep running

To: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine wont keep running
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:12:36 -0600
My guess would be brief fuel starvation - possible some sediment is briefly
blocking the port at the bottom of the float bowl or the bottom of the jet
(I am assuming HS4 carbs from the description in the message).

If you had vapor lock, it could cause similar symptoms but usually only
under hot conditions/warm engine. It wouldn't happen on a cold engine.

Its possible that the float could stick, not allowing the fuel into the
float bowl briefly. However I have never seen this in a SU carb. My
Landcruiser has had this problem but only on a cold engine with outside
temps well below zero.

In short, if I had a problem like you described, I would disassemble and
clean out the carbs. Particularly in the float bowl area. And install
and/or replace a fuel filter in your line.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT