Re: Minilite Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minilite Wheels
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:59:44 EDT
In a message dated 30/05/00 9:25:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> > A friend is trying to get Vintage Licence plates for a MGA. He
>  > requires proof that Minilite wheels where an available factory
>  > accessory. Does anyone have any such proof?
>  >

As the other guys said, Minilites were never an option. I would suspect that
you don't really have Minilites in any case, but some aluminum clone (correct
me if I'm wrong). Many of the magnesium wheels from the late 50s and early
60s are now unsafe from electrolysis over the years.

The MGAs did have an alloy rim wire wheel option (good luck finding any), but
the closest thing to Minilites from the factory was the TR3, which toward the
end had an American Racing magnesium wheel available from the dealers. I have
them on my TVR (on which they were also optional). They were also prone, as
is any true magnesium alloy wheel, to corrosion.

The modern lookalikes are neither as strong, nor normally magnesium.

Bill S.