Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <djw69@idt.net>
Subject: Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:26:06 +0100
Hi, All

I have had one of these screw-type joint breakers for years-a Sykes
Pickavant one. It works brilliantly for its intended purpose and also works
well on 'moderns' for pressing out the non-tapered pins at the bottom oh the
hub carrier on a McPherson Strut suspension. This is where the manual says
(sic), 'remove the wishbone pin from the hub carrier'.

A little tipette for breaking ball joints. You can apply a high poundage
(tonnage) with these tools but just pushing rarely works. Experience has
taught me to tighten the breaker hard, then give the end a tap with a hard
(steel) hammer. The shock is enough for the joint to get the message.

BTW, I've never damaged a joint rubber with this tool.

Cheers,

Dave H.

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html