Re: Midget advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget advice
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:55:28 +0610
Thomas Nelson wrote:

> I'm in the process of looking for a Midget/ Sprite.  I'm in the
> learning stage not in the buying stage.  I'm looking for advice as
> to what to look for in a car.  I would love to hear the wisdom of
> all of you that have bought a car and restored it or just bought a
> car and felt good about  the car you bought or perhaps didn't as
> that's something to learn about as well!

Well, you should get a range of responses on this one.  Good luck... you
are heading into the land of infatuation and infuration - the land of
the LBC (you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave).

Why did I choose my particular first LBC (my MGB) - well you can apply
this to a midget if you like?

Because it WASN'T red!

I knew that I wanted an MG but knew nothing about these cars (the
education process has just begun) so I decided the only way I could do
this properly was to buy one and play with it for a year, ask lots of
questions, play with it, pull it to bits and put the bits back together
the best way possible then sell it and look for the car that I REALLY
wanted.

Walking in to the most recommended MG place in town I was asked me if I
was after a particular car. I looked around their shop and on this day I
think every car I could see there was RED.  So being the perverse type,
I said give me any car - as long as it isn't RED.

To my surprise, they went out back and brought out a little 1968
Primrose 'B and I said, fine, I will take it!

Over two years and LOTS of 'experience' (read $$$ and frustration AND
joy) later...  I haven't sold her but I have provided some chuckles for
this list and she certainly has been an education.  Now when I sell her
(hahahahahahaha) I will certainly know a lot more about what to look for
in my next MG!

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Eric
'68MGB MkII